We support calls by Jeremy Corbyn and the TUC for the Labour Party to develop a Shadow Defence Diversification Agency, to prepare plans and investments for a more green, less militaristic economy.
We are encouraging our members and supports to promote this agenda in their local Labour and trade union branches, using the below template resolutions:
- For Labour branches: Template resolution
- For union branches (UK-wide): Template resolution
- For union branches (UK-wide) to affiliate to CND: Template resolution
- Nuclear Education Trust’s report on international examples of diversification (here)
- Jeremy Corbyn’s discussion paper on Defence Diversification (here)
- New Lucas Plan Group’s publications list on arms conversion (here)
We recently supported two workshops on defence diversification / the Lucas Plan, which can be found on Facebook here
A New Lucas Plan: An idea whose time has come?
The Lucas Plan was a pioneering effort by workers at the arms-related company Lucas Aerospace, in the 1970s, to defend their jobs by proposing alternative, socially-useful applications of the company’s technology and their own skills. The Plan became internationally famous and sparked a movement for socially useful production, as well as helping to save jobs at Lucas Aerospace.
The NLPG has launched a new documentary about The Plan:
Stream a 30 minute version here: http://theplandocumentary.com/download/
NLPG has working groups along the following themes:
- Arms conversion
- Robotics & automation
- Just transition
- Democratic local planning
To join the email discussion lists of any of these working groups, please contact: email@example.com